Privium FAQ: Everything you need to know about Privium
This page answers the most commonly-asked questions asked by new and existing Privium members. Whether you have questions about the iris scan, your Privium card or our lounges, you’ll find everything you need to know right here.
Questions about becoming a member and membership terms
1. How do I become a Privium member?
You can become a Privium member in 4 easy steps, and enjoy faster and smoother services during your visit with us at Schiphol.
a. Choose either a Privium Basic or Privium Plus membership. Click on your choice, then enter the requested information into the form. You will receive a confirmation email from us immediately. b. Make an appointment at the Privium ClubLounge. Call 020 601 4222 or email email@example.com. c. During your appointment with us, we will create your Privium membership card and take a scan of your unique iris pattern. This takes approximately 20 minutes before the card is ready for your immediate use. d. When your card is ready, you will be an official Privium member. You can pay for your invoice using a debit (PIN) or credit card at the Privium ClubLounge.
2. I do not have a Dutch passport. Am I still able to become a Privium member?
You can only become a Privium member if you are in possession of a valid passport or European I.D. card from a country within the European Union, or one from Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway or Iceland.
3. I do not have a European passport, but I am registered with the Registered Traveller Programme (RTP-NL). Can I become a Privium member?
Unfortunately this is not currently possible, however you will be able to during the course of 2018. RTP-NL members will then be able to apply for Privium membership, as long as they hold a passport from one of the following countries: United States, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore.
4. I have diplomatic status but no European passport. Can I become a Privium member?
Unfortunately, that’s not currently allowed. However, we expect this to become possible during the course of 2018. You would need to become a member of the Registered Traveller Programme (RTP-NL) and have a diplomatic status with the letter code AD, AO, AC, BD, BO or BC.
5. I have dual citizenship – can I become a Privium member?
Yes, as long as the nationality you hold is a country within the European Union, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway or Iceland. During the course of 2018, the following countries will become part of RTP-NL: United States of America, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore.
6. Can I become a member with an expired or emergency passport?
No, you can not apply to become a Privium member with an expired or emergency passport.
7. Is Privium accessible for wheelchair users?
Yes, Privium is accessible for wheelchair users. The Privium ClubLounge can be reached by elevator. Unfortunately, the special Privium automated border passage using the iris scan is unsuitable for wheelchair users; however, special passageways are available.
8. Do I have to be a frequent flyer to become a Privium member?
No – in fact, you are welcome to become a Privium member no matter how often you fly, or what airline or travel class you choose to fly in. You also do not need to be a member of any airline’s frequent flyer programme.
9. When will my Privium membership card be ready, and can I use the iris scan immediately?
Once you receive email confirmation of your membership, you will be invited to visit the Privium ClubLounge. Once you’re there, we will make your Privium card on-the-spot, and take an iris scan so that you can use the fast border passage. The entire appointment takes around 20 minutes and your card will be ready for immediate use. To make an appointment, please call +31 20 601 4222. The Privium ClubLounge is located between Departures 1 and 2, behind check-in desk 9. We are open every day from 05:30-20:30 on weekdays and 06:00-20:30 on weekends.
10. What documents should I bring with me for my initial appointment to create the Privium card?
To prepare your card for immediate use, we need to see your valid passport or European ID card. Please note that a driver’s licence cannot be used as identification.
11. How do I upgrade from Privium Basic to Privium Plus?
You can change your subscription. You can also upgrade your card immediately by visiting the Privium ClubLounge.
12. How do I cancel my Privium subscription?
You can cancel your subscription. Please note that there is a notice period of one month. You can still use your Privium membership privileges until the end date you have chosen. Please note that your subscription cannot be terminated within your first subscription year. If you cancel during that time, your membership will automatically terminate one year after you first registered.
13. How do I cancel my Privium trial subscription?
You can easily cancel your subscription by email. Please send your cancellation request to Privium_02@schiphol.nl. It must be received in writing no later than one month before your trial subscription expires. If we do not receive an email from you, we will assume that you want to become a full member, and your membership will be renewed for the full year at the standard rate of 130 euros (Privium Basic) or 215 euros (Privium Plus). From this extension onwards, you can cancel your membership month-by-month and receive a refund for the remaining subscription fee.
Questions about your Privium card
1. Will I automatically receive a new Privium card every year?
Every Privium card has a standard validity of 10 years, so you will retain the same card year-by-year. You can request a new card in case of loss, theft or damage. However, if any of those situations occur, please be aware that we will need to re-scan your iris . A new card will also need to be created at the Privium ClubLounge if you up or down-grade your type of subscription.
2. What should I do if I lose my Privium membership card?
We’re sorry to hear that your card is lost. If that happens, please call us as soon as possible on +31 20 601 4222 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your card will be blocked immediately and use of the Privium facilities will be suspended. You will need to make a new appointment at the Privium ClubLounge to get a new membership card. For that appointment, please bring a valid passport or European I.D. card. A drivers’ licence is not acceptable as identification.
3. Can I make use of Privium services if I left my card at home?
Unfortunately, no – your card is your entry ticket to the priority area at central security, car parks and business class check-in at participating airlines. Your card also has your iris scan information stored on it, so it is needed for the border passage. You also need your card to access the Privium ClubLounge.
4. Do I have to bring my passport when I use Privium services?
Yes, you must always be able to identify yourself using a valid travel document (passport or European I.D. card). The Royal Dutch Marechaussee (Police) can ask to check it at any time. In addition, you must always be able to show a valid travel document when entering your destination country.
5. Can I use Privium with an expired passport?
Unfortunately, this is not possible. We need to determine the expiry date of your passport when we issue your Privium card. When your passport is about to expire, you will receive a reminder email form us to visit the Privium ClubLounge to register your new passport with us. If you do not do this in time, your Privium card will be blocked for border and security passage.
6. What should I do if the Privium border returns the status 'membership expired'?
Please contact Privium on +31 20 601 4222 or visit the Privium ClubLounge.
7. Will my ticket or boarding pass be checked?
The Royal Netherlands Marechaussee and the Security Personnel do random security checks. To clear the border using the iris scan, you must have a valid boarding pass with you. This forms a part of the General Terms and Conditions.
8. Can I lend someone my Privium card for parking?
No, your Privium card is strictly for your own use. The card cannot be loaned to someone else. This forms a part of the General Terms and Conditions.
9. Why is my Privium Plus card blocked at the Privium car park entry?
Your Privium Plus card will be automatically blocked when an invoice is unpaid, or when your card is replaced or stolen. The old card is automatically blocked. For questions, please visit the Privium ClubLounge or call us on +31 20 601 4222.
10. Is the Privium card secure?
Yes, the Privium card complies with Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 1995 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data. It has been approved by the Dutch Data Protection Authority, Privacy First and the Privacy Officers of Schiphol, the Dutch ministry of Justice and Security, the Dutch Ministry of Defence, and the Dutch Royal Marechaussee
Questions about the iris scan
1. How tall do I need to be to use the iris scan?
The iris scan is available to everyone taller than 1.55 metres (5’,11⁄32”). People of a shorter stature will be unable to make use of it.
2. How does the iris scan work at the border passage?
- With the iris scanner, you stand at distance of 10-15 cm from your eye to the iris scanner. Simply look into the scanner with one eye (it is best to cover the other).
- Keep your eye still for the iris scan then remain standing still until the scanner indicates 'identification is completed'.
3. What happens if the scanner fails to scan my iris?
- If the iris scan fails, you will be directed to the regular passport control area. If that happens, you will be helped immediately and not sent to the back of the queue.
- If you are still having problems with the iris scan, please contact us on +31 20 601 4222. Please note that the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee occasionally has random checks, which sometimes makes it seem as if the iris scan is not working.
4. When was the iris scan opened at the border?
As soon as the passport control areas are opened inside the terminal, the iris scan at the Privium ports will also be opened. You will then be able to cross the border. If a border crossing is closed on departure, arrival or transfer at Schiphol, the Privium border gate will also be closed. You can then use the border passage at another location inside the terminal.
Questions about the Privium ClubLounge
1. When can I make use of the Privium ClubLounge?
The Privium ClubLounge is available exclusively for Privium Plus members. Privium Plus members and Privium Partner members (in the company of a Privium Plus member) can enter the lounge upon presentation of their Privium card and boarding pass, which must both be valid for travel on that day. Children, babies or partners who do not hold a card will be unable to enter the lounge. You are also unable to bring pets into the Privium ClubLounge.
2. Can I introduce a new member to the Privium ClubLounge?
As a Privium Plus member, you are also welcome to introduce a potential new member at the Privium ClubLounge. If your guest is aged 12+ and in possession of a boarding pass for that day, you can buy a Guest Voucher for € 30 at the ClubLounge reception desk. If your guest decides to become a member of Privium Plus member on-the-spot, the cost of the Guest Voucher will be deducted from the membership cost.
Questions about the Privium Airside Lounge
1. When can I visit the Airside Lounge?
Privium Plus members and Privium Partner members (in the company of the Privium Plus member) can visit the Airside Lounge upon presentation of your Privium card and boarding pass valid for travel on that day. Children, babies and partners without a Privium card do not have access to this new lounge after security. In addition, pets are not allowed in the Privium Airside Lounge.
2. When is the Privium Airside Lounge open?
Privium Airside Lounge is open seven days a week from 06:00-21:00.
3. Will the Privium Airside Lounge stay open in the evening if my flight is delayed?
No, the Privium Airside Lounge always closes at 21:00.
4. Can I visit the Privium Airside Lounge when I arrive on a flight to Schiphol?
Yes; it does not matter if you are arriving at or departing from Schiphol. Anyone who has access to the Privium Airside Lounge on the basis of a Privium Plus or partner membership, or with a Guest Voucher, is welcome to visit the lounge. However, the only condition is that you must be able to show a boarding pass.
5. Can I also visit the Privium Airside Lounge in the non-Schengen area of the terminal when traveling on a Schengen flight?
Yes, you can do this if you are on a Schengen flight from the B, C or D-Pier. Please be aware of the extra walking times. First, walk through Departures 2 or 3 to the Privium Airside Lounge; after your visit, walk to your gate on the B, C or D-Pier. You will pass the border twice. Unfortunately, you cannot visit the Privium Airside Lounge if you depart on a Schengen flight from the M-Pier.
6. Can I bring a friend to introduce to Privium at the Privium Airside Lounge?
As a Privium Plus member, your guests are also welcome in the Privium Airside Lounge. If your guest is aged 12+ and in possession of a boarding pass for that day, you can buy a Guest Voucher at the counter which costs € 30. Please note that you can only make payment with debit (PIN) or credit card, as cash payments are not accepted.
7. Can I have an iris scan completed at the Privium Airside Lounge in order to become a Privium member?
No, the Privium Airside Lounge has no scanning facilities, or for becoming a Privium member. The only place to this is at the Privium ClubLounge before security.
8. I just lost my card; can I get a new card in the Privium Airside Lounge?
Sorry to hear that you lost your card. Unfortunately, the Privium Airside Lounge does not have the equipment to create and issue a new card. This must be done at the Privium ClubLounge before security.
9. Is the Marechaussee present in the Privium Airside Lounge for passport updates?
No, the Marechaussee is not present in the Privium Airside Lounge. You can only do this in the Privium ClubLounge before security.
10. Can I go to the Privium Airside Lounge desk to make an appointment at the Privium ClubLounge before security?
Yes, the Privium Airside Lounge reception staff can place an appointment in the calendar for the Privium ClubLounge before security.
11. I would like to cancel my Privium membership. Can I do this at the Privium Airside Lounge?
We always ask you to notify us of membership cancellations in writing by email to email@example.com.
12. Does the Privium Airside Lounge have the same food and drink assortment as in the Privium ClubLounge?
Not exactly. The range of food differs in a number of ways because the Privium Airside Lounge is a smaller facility than the Privium ClubLounge. However, the drink range is mostly the same.
13. What do you mean by a ‘provisional’ lounge?
Schiphol will be renovating the part of the terminal where the Privium Airside Lounge is located in the future. Privium wanted to respond to demand from Privium members for an airside lounge, which is why we are pleased to be able to add this lounge location for now.
14. Are lost items held at the Privium Airside Lounge or will they be sent to Lost and Found?
Found items will be held at the lounge initially.
15. Can I meet with a few business associates / colleagues in the Privium Airside Lounge?
You are welcome to meet with other Privium Plus members, or with people who hold a Guest Voucher, in the Privium Airside Lounge. The facilities for meetings are limited because there is no large enclosed space. Please note that other visitors to the lounge may hear your conversations due to the room’s open layout.