Passport control at Schiphol: Passports and travel documents

Most travellers at Schiphol have to pass through passport control, except those travelling to or from a Schengen country. However, you should always carry a valid passport or identity card when travelling by air. Please do not forget to check whether you need other travel documents, such as a visa.

No passport control within the Schengen zone

A number of European countries, including the Netherlands, have abolished internal border checks in order make travel between them easier. You do not need to pass through Passport Control if you are flying between Schiphol and another country in the Schengen zone.

Standard passport control at Schiphol

When travelling from Schiphol to a non-Schengen country, you have to pass through Passport Control. Your passport is also checked when you arrive from a non-Schengen country. These checks are carried out by the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee, a branch of the Dutch armed forces with police powers.

icoon uitroepteken Tip

Well before you travel, check that your passport, identity card and any visas you need are still valid. Some countries require that your passport remain valid for a certain period after arrival.

Cross the border faster with eGate

eGate is an automatic self-service border checkpoint. You cross the border faster than with a manual inspection because you scan your own passport. You can use the automatic gates if you are 14 or over and hold an EU passport that contains a microchip. Follow the instructions at the gate for a smooth passage. Watch the video below to see how the system works.

The eGates use biometrics. The photo that the eGate takes of your face is used for border control only and is deleted after 24 hours.

You can find more information on the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee website.

How Schiphol eGate works

Visa or permission to travel

You need to obtain a visa for some travel destinations. If you are travelling from the Netherlands to the United States or Canada, you need permission to travel in the form of an ESTA (US) or eTA (Canada). You must apply for this at least 72 hours before departure.

icoon uitroepteken Tip

If you are travelling alone with a minor (a child aged under 18), as well as valid passports you need permission from their non-accompanying parent(s) or guardian(s). Read more about travelling with children.

Authorisation form when you travel alone with a child

You cannot travel alone with a minor (a child aged under 18), without permission to do so from their non-accompanying parent(s), guardian(s) or custodian(s). This rule is enforced to prevent child abduction. Read more about travelling with children at Schiphol.

Lost or stolen passport

If your passport has been lost or stolen, has expired or is about to expire, please apply for a new one as soon as possible. Dutch citizens should apply through their local authority (i.e. Town Hall). If you are travelling before the local authority has time to issue a new passport, please ask them to initiate the emergency issuance procedure. This procedure will allow you to obtain a travel document from the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee. The Emergency Documents Desk at Schiphol is located between Departures 1 and 2.

Non-Dutch citizens should contact their own embassy or consulate as soon as possible.

icoon uitroepteken Tip

If your passport is lost or stolen at Schiphol, this poses a serious security risk for yourself and others. Report the matter to the Marechaussee post on Schiphol Plaza as soon as possible.

Fast border crossing with iris scan

Privium leden gaan in een oogwenk door de paspoortcontrole

How the Privium iris scan works

Frequently asked questions

Is it always important to carry a passport or other valid form of identification?

Yes – it’s not just a good idea, but it’s also mandatory. You must be in possession of a valid form of identification with you when you fly, like a passport or official I.D. card. You will be required to identify yourself in virtually every place to which you travel, but the means by which you do that varies per country. For example, countries within the Schengen visa-free travel zone and some others accept an official Dutch I.D. card at the point of entry – see the national government website for a list of those countries (in Dutch only). For all other countries, please always carry a valid passport with you.

Your airline will also check your passport and/or other form of identification to determine whether your details match those on your flight ticket.

Can I obtain an emergency travel document at Schiphol?

Yes, if you are Dutch citizen you can obtain one at the Emergency Documents Desk between Departure 1 and 2. For details of the documents you need, we advise you to contact your local authority (Town Hall) as quickly as possible. For more information about the procedure, see the national government website.

I have a complaint or comment about passport control. Who can I contact?

All complaints or comments about passport control at Schiphol should be directed to the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee through Please be as specific as possible – for example, state where you were, the date and time and the name of the officer who checked your passport, or what they looked like.

Am I obliged to use the automated border checkpoint?

No, you can also go through the traditional checkpoint. In that case, your passport will be checked by a Royal Dutch Marechaussee officer.

Prepare for your flight

  • Hand baggage

    What items you can and can’t travel with on the plane

  • Hold and odd-sized baggage

    Hold baggage rules and what constitutes an ‘odd-sized’ item

  • Travel to Schiphol

    Schiphol is easy to reach by train, bus, taxi and car

  • Check-in

    You can check in online or at Schiphol. What works for you?

  • Current page: Passports and travel documents

    Check your passport’s validity and any visa requirements

  • Security check

    Be well-prepared and clear security with ease