The Privium Culture Weeks: Tomato-sweet potato soup
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 400g peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres water
- 30g vegetable stock powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 850g chickpeas
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp vadouvan herbs
- 25g flat-leafed parsley
This is how you make it!
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Chop the onion and garlic. Peel the sweet potato and cut into 2cm chunks.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a soup pan on a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until softened. Add the sweet potato and fry for another 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Deglaze with the chopped tomatoes and the water.
- Bring the soup to the boil and add the stock powder and bay leaf. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, drain the chickpeas, rinse carefully and arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add the rest of the oil, cayenne pepper, vadouvan and salt (optional) to the chickpeas and mix well. Bake in the oven for approx. 15 minutes until slightly crunchy.
- Remove the bay leaf and add ⅔ of the chickpeas to the soup. Puree until smooth and season with pepper and salt (if required).
- Roughly chop the parsley. Ladle the soup into the bowls and garnish with the remaining chickpeas and parsley.