By train from Schiphol: Train travel in the Netherlands
Catch the train at Schiphol to travel directly to many destinations in The Netherlands. The NS train station is located directly below the terminal building. Take the escalator or lift downstairs and board the train. The train gets you for instance to Amsterdam Central Station in 14-17 minutes.
Trains in the Netherlands
Schiphol is an important hub for the Dutch rail network. It’s very easy to get from there to anywhere across the country. You can plan your train journey online at ns.nl and 9292.nl, which gives you door-to-door public transport advice. It is mandatory to wear a face mask on the train.
Amsterdam Travel Ticket
An Amsterdam Travel Ticket lets you use virtually all of the city’s public transport on one ticket. Your ticket includes unlimited travel with the Amsterdam Express bus (line 397) from Schiphol to every train station in Amsterdam. Visit www.Discoverholland.com for more information.
The train abroad
You can buy train tickets for international train services operated by Thalys, ICE International, CityNightLine and Eurostar at the Nederlandse Spoorwegen Hispeed desks. These desks are located near the Meeting Point at Schiphol Plaza.
Train tickets and the public transport card
In addition to paper tickets, many Dutch people use a public transport card called the ‘OV-chipkaart’. You can use the OV-chipkaart on the train, bus, tram and metro services. Several different types of public transport cards are available – read on to find out more.
- Plan your journey at ns.nl or 9292.nl
- Buy a public transport card from the yellow ticket machines at Schiphol and most stations
- Make sure you have at least € 20 credit on your public transport card
- Always check in and out by swiping your card on the yellow card readers. These are located at the top of the escalators and lifts in Schiphol Plaza.
- You must wear a face mask on the train.