Our profile conveys who we are
On 19 September 1916, the first military aircraft landed on an area of reclaimed land following the draining of the Haarlemmermeer polder. This marked the beginning of Schiphol's status as a military airfield. KLM's first passenger flights in 1920 began the process of transforming Schiphol from a military airfield into a civil airport.
The operation of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the main activitiy of Royal Schiphol Group. In addition, we own and operate both Rotterdam The Hague Airport and Lelystad Airport and hold a majority share in Eindhoven Airport. We also have a share in and/or collaborate closely with a broad range of international airports.
Important social and economic value
Every year, our Dutch airports welcome more than 79 million passengers and process over 1.7 million tonnes of cargo. We employ over 2,300 people and our aviation activities in the Netherlands provide work for a further 300,000 people.
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the third largest European airport in terms of passengers, surpassed only by London Heathrow and Paris Charles de Gaulle. In terms of cargo volumes Schiphol is number three as well. Our ambition is to develop Schiphol into Europe’s Preferred Airport.
Four business areas
The largest business area for our core activities is Aviation, with a turnover of 873 million euros. Together with the three other business areas - Consumer Products & Services, Real Estate, and Alliances & Participations - Aviation executes Schiphol's strategy and plays a decisive role in Royal Schiphol Group's success.
Cooperation is vital to our success
Connecting the Netherlands is not a task we can perform on our own. We work in association with sector partners such as airlines, ground handlers, air traffic controllers, Customs and the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee. In collaboration with public transport companies, government bodies and our business partners, we have developed our airports into efficient hubs and attractive visitor and work locations.
Corporate responsibility as a common thread in everything we do
Corporate responsibility is crucial to our future-proofing and our day-to-day business operations. By 2030, Schiphol aims to be a zero-waste and zero-emissions airport as well as the most sustainable airport in the world. Our strategic theme of Sustainable & Safe Performance guarantees corporate responsibility throughout the entire organisation. We take people, the environment and the local community into account in everything we do.
We are conscious of the impact of our aviation activities. Together with our stakeholders we constantly work on minimising any inconvenience and continue to invest in improving the quality of life in the region. We seek innovative solutions that further boost sustainability and safeguard our long-term position as a mainport.
Awards and accolades
In 2018, Royal Schiphol Group and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol received awards in a variety of areas.
Royal Schiphol Group
- Air Transport Research Society (ATRS): Europe's most efficient airport group
- International Airport Review Award: Technological solution of the year for digital infrastructure
- Randstad Award: Most attractive employer
- AWVN Trophy: Most inclusive organisation
- FD Henri Sijthoff Award: Best annual report 2017 (non-listed category)
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- SKYTRAX: Best Airport Staff Europe
- ACI Europe: Eco-Innovation Award
- Business Traveller UK: Best European Airport (29th consecutive year)
- Business Traveller the Netherlands: Best Airport
- Cargo News Asia: Best Airport Europe
- BTMF Business: Best Airport
- Global Traveler USA: Best Airport in Europe, Best Shopping Airport and Best Duty-Free Shopping in Europe
- TR Business: Travel Retail Award
- Frontier: Best F&B Partnership of the Year (with HMSHost and Portland Design for food court in Departure Lounge 1)
- Trazee Travel: Favorite Airport in Europe and Favorite Airport Shopping
- MSCI European Property Investments Awards: Best performing balanced fund in the Netherlands (for Schiphol Real Estate)
- Hotel Investment Conference London: Single Asset Transaction of the Year (awarded to Schiphol Real Estate for its Hilton transaction)
- Canadian Travel Agents' Choice Awards: Favourite International Airport (14th consecutive year)
- ATRS: Most efficient European airport (more than 40 million passengers category)
- World Routes Airport Marketing Award: Highly Commended (3rd consecutive year)
- Children’s Council TOP Award: Most equal collaboration
- Computable Award for Digital Airport Programme