Our profile conveys who we are
On 19 September 1916, the first military aircraft landed on an area of reclaimed land following the draining of the Haarlemmermeer polder. This marked the beginning of Schiphol's status as a military airfield. KLM's first passenger flights in 1920 began the process of transforming Schiphol from a military airfield into a civil airport.
The operation of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the main activitiy of Royal Schiphol Group. In addition, we own and operate both Rotterdam The Hague Airport and Lelystad Airport and hold a majority share in Eindhoven Airport. We also have a share in and/or collaborate closely with a broad range of international airports.
Important social and economic value
In 2019, our Dutch airports welcomed 80.5 million passengers and processed 1.57 million tonnes of cargo. We employ over 2,500 people and our aviation activities in the Netherlands provide work for a further 114,000 people.
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the third largest European airport in terms of passengers, surpassed only by London Heathrow and Paris Charles de Gaulle. In terms of cargo volumes Schiphol is number four. The ambition of Schiphol Group is to create the world’s most sustainable, high quality airports.
Four business areas
The largest business area for our core activities is Aviation. Together with the three other business areas - Consumer Products & Services, Real Estate, and Alliances & Participations - Aviation executes Schiphol's strategy and plays a decisive role in Royal Schiphol Group's success.
Cooperation is vital to our success
Connecting the Netherlands is not a task we can perform on our own. We work in association with sector partners such as airlines, ground handlers, air traffic controllers, Customs and the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee. In collaboration with public transport companies, government bodies and our business partners, we have developed our airports into efficient hubs and attractive visitor and work locations.
Sustainability as a common thread in everything we do
Sustainability is crucial to our future-proofing and our day-to-day business operations. By 2030, Schiphol aims to be a zero-waste and zero-emissions airport. Quality of Life is one of the three strategic pillars of our Vision 2050.
We are conscious of the impact of our aviation activities. Together with our stakeholders we constantly work on minimising any inconvenience and continue to invest in improving the quality of life in the region. We seek innovative solutions that further boost sustainability and safeguard our long-term position as a mainport.
Awards and accolades
In 2019, Royal Schiphol Group and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol received awards in a variety of areas.
Royal Schiphol Group
- Labour Foundation (Stichting van de Arbeid): Diversity in Business Award
- Air Transport Research Society (ATRS): Europe’s most efficient airport group
- Treasury Management International: Best Sustainable Finance Solution - Highly Commended
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy and Royal Netherlands Institute of Chartered Accountants: Kristalprijs ('Crystal Prize'; winner of the Transparency Benchmark) for the 2018 annual report
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- Moodie International: winner in Best Native Campaign category and highly commended in Best Brand Advertising category
- Business Traveller UK: Best European Airport (30th consecutive year)
- Global Traveler Award USA: Best airport in Europe
- Business Travel & Mobility Award for Schiphol Travel Taxi (joint shareholdership with Connexxion)
- TR Business Travel Retail Award: Best airport for Customer Service
- ABN AMRO: Best Newcomer Retail Award for Soup & Bakery by De Verspillingsfabriek
- Parenting book publisher 'Oei, ik groei': Happy Service Award for the Baby Care Lounge
- DFNI Best New Store Award for Exquisite, Schiphol Airport Retail
- Mercur Award for unstaffed AKO shop (grab, scan and fly) on the G-Pier
- Canadian Travel Agents’ Choice Awards: Favourite International Airport (15th consecutive year)
- ATRS: Top European Airport Efficiency Excellence Award (more than 40 million passengers category)
- World Routes Airport Marketing Award: Highly Commended (4th consecutive year, more than 50 million passengers category)
- Air Cargo Week: World Air Cargo Award for Airport of the year 2019