Redevelopment : Departures 1 and Lounge 1
Schiphol is constantly evolving. We’re currently upgrading Departures and Lounge 1. The addition of a mezzanine in Departures 1 will provide extra space for security, check-in and waiting rooms. We’re also extending the Lounge behind Departures, making adjustments to walkways and expanding the range of amenities, like food & drink establishments and shops. All of this will make the travel process even more pleasant.
Facts & figures
A significant quality upgrade is taking place in Departures and Lounge 1. We are increasing capacity by improving the layout of Departures 1, Lounge 1 (shopping area) and adjacent floors.
- We’re building a mezzanine in Departures 1 that will end up having a total area of 5,000 m2. That’s the size of a whole football pitch!
- The mezzanine will have 21 security lanes – six more than before. All lanes will be equipped with CT-scans that will make the passenger security process significantly faster.
- During this redevelopment process, we’re creating a new walkway to the Panorama Terrace with brand new stairs, escalators and lift. To make all of this possible, we’ve added a 4-metre extension to Departures 1. The extension is clearly visible – go and take a look.
- Passengers travelling via Departures 1 who do not have check-in baggage with them will be able to access the mezzanine directly from the entrance using a new staircase, escalator or lift. They will no longer have to pass through the check-in area. The check-in area will be less busy and calmer as a result.
- We have built a Temporary Security Filter - a brand new building with an area of 1,500 m2 - in order to facilitate the renovation of Departures. This security filter can accommodate eight security lanes and will ensure that we always have sufficient security capacity.
- Lounge 1 is being totally upgraded and made bigger. The adjacent offices are moving to a different location to create more space for the Lounge. In total, we’re redeveloping an area the size of four football pitches (around 20,000 m2).
The security filter on the new mezzanine in Departure Hall 1 is scheduled to be up and running by the end of November 2020. We will complete the adaptation and extension of Departure Lounge 1 in early 2025.
Opportunities and challenges during the coronavirus crisis
Project Manager Ronald Pronk shares the challenges the project Redevelopment of Departure and Lounge 1 (HT1) faced during the coronavirus crisis.
Departure Lounge 1: Everyone on cloud nine
Project Manager Krijn Hombrink tells us more about the new design of Departure Lounge 1. A space with living trees, shops, workspaces and easy chairs; light effects that show you where to go.
A new walking route for 24,000 passengers
For months, process developer Elise de Kok has been carefully planning the new walking route for Departure Hall 1 passengers to the Temporary Security Filter (TSF). She has cooperated with numerous specialists.
Renovation Lounge 1: a major logistical challenge
The design process for the new Departure Lounge 1 is now in full swing. But there is so much more to a redevelopment project on this scale. Hilde Eijkelkamp of the Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Project Office (PLUS) has been immersed in the practical side of things for months.
Lounge 1: No longer just a ‘waiting area’
Linda Rijlaarsdam from Consumers and Bianca Jansen from Operations are responsible for the design process of the new lounge being planned for Terminal 1. ' By designing it together, we should get the best results for passengers.’
Departure hall by day, construction site by night
As soon as the last travellers have left Departure Hall 1 in the evening, Nico Bogaard and his colleagues starts their working day. They are building a mezzanine floor for the brand-new security filter.