Redevelopment : Departures 1 and Lounge 1
Schiphol is constantly evolving. We’re currently upgrading Departures and Lounge 1. The addition of a mezzanine in Departures 1 will provide extra space for security, check-in and waiting rooms. We’re also extending the Lounge behind Departures, making adjustments to walkways and expanding the range of amenities, like food & drink establishments and shops. All of this will make the travel process even more pleasant.
We are renewing and enlarging Departure and Lounge 1 for the future of Schiphol
Facts & figures
A significant quality upgrade is taking place in Departures and Lounge 1. We are increasing capacity by improving the layout of Departures 1, Lounge 1 (shopping area) and adjacent floors.
- We’re building a mezzanine in Departures 1 that will end up having a total area of 5,000 m2. That’s the size of a whole football pitch!
- The mezzanine will have 21 security lanes – six more than before. All lanes will be equipped with CT-scans that will make the passenger security process significantly faster.
- During this redevelopment process, we’re creating a new walkway to the Panorama Terrace with brand new stairs, escalators and lift. To make all of this possible, we’ve added a 4-metre extension to Departures 1. The extension is clearly visible – go and take a look.
- Passengers travelling via Departures 1 who do not have check-in baggage with them will be able to access the mezzanine directly from the entrance using a new staircase, escalator or lift. They will no longer have to pass through the check-in area. The check-in area will be less busy and calmer as a result.
- We have built a Temporary Security Filter - a brand new building with an area of 1,500 m2 - in order to facilitate the renovation of Departures. This security filter can accommodate eight security lanes and will ensure that we always have sufficient security capacity.
- Lounge 1 is being totally upgraded and made bigger. The adjacent offices are moving to a different location to create more space for the Lounge. In total, we’re redeveloping an area the size of four football pitches (around 20,000 m2).
The security filter on the new mezzanine in Departure Hall 1 is scheduled to be up and running by the end of November 2020. We will complete the adaptation and extension of Departure Lounge 1 in early 2025.
Stairway/escalator 2: risky but ingenious
The new stairway/escalator in Terminal 1 is almost complete, but this installation is a tricky one. Project manager Marc de Graaf explains how they handled this challenge.
The new security check: faster and even more secure
Menno Kuiperij is the Security Process Developer responsible for coordinating the design and execution of the new security lanes in Departure Hall 1.
Opportunities and challenges during the coronavirus crisis
Project Manager Ronald Pronk shares the challenges the project Redevelopment of Departure and Lounge 1 (HT1) faced during the coronavirus crisis.
A new walking route for 24,000 passengers
For months, process developer Elise de Kok has been carefully planning the new walking route for Departure Hall 1 passengers to the Temporary Security Filter (TSF). She has cooperated with numerous specialists.
Renovation Lounge 1: a major logistical challenge
The design process for the new Departure Lounge 1 is now in full swing. But there is so much more to a redevelopment project on this scale. Hilde Eijkelkamp of the Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Project Office (PLUS) has been immersed in the practical side of things for months.