- How does iris recognition work?
- Does the iris scan work if I’m wearing glasses or contact lenses?
- Do you have to be a frequent flier to be a member?
- Do you have to be a certain age to be a Privium member?
- How do I upgrade from Privium Basic to Privium Plus?
- Do I get a new Privium Card every year?
- What should I do if I lose my Privium Card?
- How long does border passage with iris scan take?
- What happens if the iris scan fails?
- Can I use Privium if I forget my card?
- Do I still need to carry a passport if I travel with Privium?
- Can I use Privium with an expired passport?
- Can I become a member with an emergency passport?
- Will I be checked for a valid ticket?
- What happens if I have dual nationality?
- Is Privium completely safe from fraud?
- Can I lend my Privium Card to someone else for parking?
- What happens to my personal details?
- Can very short/tall people be members?
- Can people in wheelchairs be members?
- How long does the appointment take to pick up the Privium Card?
- Why is my Privium Plus Card blocked at Privium Parking?
- When can I access the Privium ClubLounge?
- Is it allowed to bring a guest to the Privium ClubLounge?
- Are pets allowed in the Privium ClubLounge?
- The display on the Privium port indicates ‘Membership expired’?
- When can I cancel my Privium membership?
1. How does iris recognition work?
A picture is taken of your iris, from which a maximum of 256 measurements are made. These measurements create a pattern of light and dark that is unique to you. This photo is stored on your Privium Card and whenever you pass through border control, the information on your card is compared to the iris scan. At least four simple, black-and-white digital photos are made of your eye in one second. No flash is used, instead the eye is illuminated by three dim, red lights set in three different positions. One of the photos is then coded and this code is then compared to the code on your Privium pass.
2. Does the iris scan work if I’m wearing glasses or contact lenses?
The iris scan identification will work if you are wearing glasses or (coloured) contact lenses. It will not work however, if you are wearing tinted lenses or sunglasses. You will be asked to remove your glasses or contact lenses only when the initial photo of your iris is made for your card. People wearing thick-framed glasses will be instructed on how to prevent the frames from obscuring the iris during the automated border passage scan.
3. Do you have to be a frequent flier to be a member?
You can be a Privium member regardless of the class or frequency of your flights, provided you are in possession of a valid passport from a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
4. Do you have to be a certain age to be a Privium member?
No, you do not. All members must however, be in possession of a valid passport and be able to use the iris scanner, which has been installed at a height of 1.30 m., unaided. This means that members must be at least 1.50 m. tall.
5. How do I upgrade from Privium Basic to Privium Plus?
You can upgrade your Privium Basic membership to a Privium Plus membership only if there is enough room in the Privium Plus programme, as the number of memberships is limited. You can apply for a change of your membership via the website www.schiphol.nl/privium.
6. Do I get a new Privium Card every year?
Your Privium Card will last for ten years. Your card is therefore replaced every ten years. A new iris scan must be made for every new card issued in connection with loss, theft or damage.
7. What should I do if I lose my Privium Card?
If you have lost your card please call us immediately on + 31 (0)20 – 601 4222 or write an e-mail to email@example.com. Your card will be blocked without delay, meaning it will no longer access any Privium facilities. To get a new Privium Card, please make an appointment with the Privium ClubLounge. Please bring a valid passport or European identity card to the appointment.
8. How long does border passage with iris scan take?
Between 10 and 15 seconds.
9. What happens if the iris scan fails?
There are a number of causes of iris recognition failure. * Make sure that there is 10 to 15 centimetres between your eye and the iris scanner and that the scanner can only see one eye. * Stand motionless and keep your eye still in front of the iris scanner until the computer indicates “identification is completed”. * Should the iris scan not work, you will be guided to regular passport control. You will not be lead to the back of the line, you will be helped immediately. Should you have any problems with the iris scan, please contact Privium Information & Services on 020 - 601 4222. Please keep in mind that the Dutch Border Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) perform random checks, in which it appears that the iris scan has not worked.
10. Can I use Privium if I forget my card?
No. Your card is your entry key to the car park and is essential to the Privium check-in process and the iris scan. To enter the Privium ClubLounge is a Privium Plus card required.
11. Do I still need to carry a passport if I travel with Privium?
Yes, you must always be able to prove your identity with a valid travel document. The Dutch Border Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) are authorised to request to see it. Moreover, you must be able to show a valid travel document in the country of arrival.
12. Can I use Privium with an expired passport?
If your passport has expired you cannot make use of the automated border passage. Your passport’s expiry date is noted when your Privium Card is issued and you will receive a reminder from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to register your new passport number at the Privium ClubLounge when your old passport is due to expire.
13. Can I become a member with an emergency passport?
No, you cannot.
14. Will I be checked for a valid ticket?
The Dutch Border Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) and Security Personnel are authorised to carry out random checks. The conditions of membership state that the member must have a travel destination in order to be able to enter the protected area. Should this be abused, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol will address the issue with the member concerned. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has the right to terminate memberships.
15. What happens if I have dual nationality?
You only need one nationality that aligns with the conditions of membership. You will receive one card.
16. Is Privium completely safe from fraud?
Fraud can never be completely ruled out, but the iris scan is very fraud-resistant because the iris is unique to the individual. There are no two iris patterns in the world that are exactly alike.
17. Can I lend my Privium Card to someone else for parking?
Technically it is possible, but the conditions of membership state that the card is strictly for personal use. Should this be abused, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol will address the issue with the member concerned. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has the right to terminate memberships.
18. What happens to my personal details?
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol complies with all privacy protection laws. The same information that is available to the Dutch Border Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) from the regular passport control is available to them from the automated border passage via a system link. Your biometric data is stored on the chip of your Privium Card and not in a database. The Dutch Data Protection Authority has approved the design for the use of Privium member data, including the use of data for the benefit of automated border passage. Moreover, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol’s network and that of the Dutch Border Police are completely separate and not a single form of information is exchanged between the two systems when the automated border passage is used.
19. Can very short/tall people be members?
Yes. The height of the scanner (placed at 1.30 metres) was chosen on the advice of an ergonomist. As the scanner is set at a fixed height, tall people will have to bend forward a little more. The minimum height is 1.50 metres, given the height of the iris scan unit.
20. Can people in wheelchairs be members?
Due to the design of the gate for automated border passage, persons with decreased mobility do not have access. Privium members with decreased mobility do have access to special parking places in the Privium parking section (right at the front).
21. How long does the appointment take to pick up the Privium Card?
Once you have received confirmation, make an appointment at the Privium ClubLounge at Schiphol to have your iris geometry photographed and placed on the chip of your card. The appointment will take around 15 minutes. You can also drop by the Privium ClubLounge without an appointment, but please be aware that customers with pre-arranged appointments are given priority and the wait time can be longer. Your Privium Card can be used straight away.
22. Why is my Privium Plus Card blocked at Privium Parking?
The Privium Plus card will be blocked when the invoice isn’t paid, the Privium Card is substituted for a new card (the old Privium Card will be automatically blocked) or the Card is registered as stolen or lost.
23. When can I access the Privium ClubLounge?
Privium Plus members in possession of a valid Privium Plus Card and a valid travel ticket (ticket, e-ticket of boarding card) of that day; Privium Partner members accompanied by its Privium Plus member and in possession of a Privium Partner Card and a valid travel ticket of that day (ticket, e-ticket of boarding card). Privium Basic members can visit the lounge for administrative occasions and to obtain a new Privium card. Accompanying kids, babies and partners without a Privium membership don’t have access to the Privium ClubLounge.
24. Is it allowed to bring a guest to the Privium ClubLounge?
Privium Plus members can purchase a voucher for guests. The vouchers can be bought at the Privium ClubLounge. Besides the voucher guests need a valid passport or European Identity card and a valid travel ticket of that day (ticket, e-ticket of boarding card) Kids of twelve years and older have access to the Privium ClubLounge as a guest with a voucher. Schiphol always has the right to deny access to guests of the Privium ClubLounge.
25. Are pets allowed in the Privium ClubLounge?
No, it is not allowed to bring pets in the Privium ClubLounge
26. The display on the Privium port indicates ‘Membership expired’?
When this message is displayed, please contact Privium Services via +31(0)20 - 601 4222 or go to the Privium ClubLounge.
27. When can I cancel my Privium membership?
If you have a membership longer than one year there is a notice period of one month. For members who are still in their first year, cancellation is only possible after this year. After cancellation follows a new invoice for the remaining period or restitution if the invoice is paid already Privium memberships can be cancelled through our website. You can go to the following link: http://www.schiphol.com/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Privium/MyPrivium.htm